Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Stuff coming up and a couple of random stories

Something Fun
I don't know if you guys know, but during TU's Spring Break I was able to meet up with the Taylor Spring Break team in Jarabacoa which is in the central part of the DR. We went white water rafting and had dinner together. It was fun to reconnect with fellow TU people and hear what is going on in Upland. Krista the other HOPE International intern who happens to be another Taylor Grad from Chicago was there too and it was cool. I took one picture the whole trip and it was of myself at a bus station on the way back. Lame I know

Some highlights for the rest of my time here are:
-This month I am going to visit the kid I have sponsored through Compassion International for the last several years. I'm pretty pumped about it and it should give me a new perspective on the sponsorship.
-The end of April I will be serving as a translator on the US Navy's medical mission boat Comfort for a couple of and am pretty pumped. I will be spending the night there and I'm really excited. I'll probably post something about that after it happens. The ship in the picture is the Comfort.

Random Story time:

-An elderly Haitian woman slapped me in the face a while back. I had just taken a picture of her microfinance group and she walks up to me, looks at the picture, and then slaps me right in the face. It turns out there was a mosquito biting me, so I was grateful, or at least tried to seem grateful.
-Last week at church there was a high school from Florida group doing missions down here on their Spring Break. One guy from the trip recognized me and said he met me while visiting Taylor last fall (he stayed with Schooler). What a small world...

Some things I would appreciate prayer for here in DR:
-That I could continue to develop relationships here in the DR in my remaining weeks.
-That I would continue to progress in Spanish
-That I could be a light and a spiritual

Prayer for my life when I get back:
-That I would be led to a job that will help me get good experience in a field I am interested in

Something I'm learning here:
In my job here, I have been blessed to interview some of our associates all of whom are really poor. I am always reminded of their worth in God's eyes even though this world may look down on them. Hearing about their faith and joy in Christ is an encouragement and humbling. This verse is something I'm reminded of constantly:

James 2:5
Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

3 comments:

Chris Horst said...

Slapped in the face, huh? Great story! Hope you're doing well...

Neil R. Long said...

can I slap you in the face? please?

khal994 said...

Neil if you can reach me from where you are I give you permission. just be gentle...