Monday, April 6, 2009

Bad moves made by the Cubs this offseason

• Ryan Dempster getting $52 million for four years.
Dempster had a good year in 2008 (17-6 with 2.96 ERA) but did not play great on the road. That is really the only dazzling season of his career and I think it will probably be his career year. I expect his stats to be W/L 14-11 with an ERA of around three and a half.

• Milton Bradley getting $30 million for three years.
Don’t even get me started on this guy. He had a good year last year until he got injured. In his one “full season” of 146 games with the Dodgers, Bradley batted .267 with 19 homers and 67 RBI’s. Nothing dazzling. Last year he tore it up in Texas batting .321 with 22 HRs and 77 RBI’s but has had injury troubles his whole career. My question is this: why give an unproven guy so much money? 10 mil a year? And we traded Mark DeRosa to free up salary room. The fact that there is a Youtube video called “Milton Bradley Suicide Bombs His Teams” should throw up a red flag.

• Trading Mark DeRosa. He is one of my favorite players in baseball today. He’s my kind of player, can play anywhere in the field and is a good hitter too. Back in my playing days I played a wide variety of positions (Senior year I played 3B, 1B, 2B, C, LF and RF) and batted and ran decently enough to be an asset for my coach because of my versatility. I like the fact that you can give DLee, ARam, Soriano, Fukudome, and Fontenot days off and not have to worry about filling their gap in the lineup because DeRosa fit it.

Last year he batted a solid .285 with 103 runs, 21 HRs, and 87 RBIs with a .376 OBP. Those are stinkin’ good numbers for anybody, let alone a “utility guy”. Not to mention he was a team leader and a fan favorite and a clutch player (his HR in the 08 Division Series is the only good thing that happened that series). Granted, that was probably a career year for him too, but to trade a guy making only $5 mil a year to free up salary room? And you go and pay Bozo Bradley how much?

Heck he played in the World Baseball Classic with his beloved USA, so he is a true American not like Alex Rodriguez.

And the guy the Cubs signed to replace him will make only about $3 million less than him.

My suggestions for the Cubs:
• Get DeRosa back (can you tell he's my man-crush?)
• Have Zambrano be the pinch hitter for the Cubs on his days off. I’m totally serious and it lets me watch him bat without converting him to an outfielder which takes years (just ask Rick Ankiel).
-Sign Henry Rowengartner to a long term deal. just kidding, had to give him a shout out.
• Win the World Series, and then hire me for a job in the front office. GM would be great but at this point I'll take anything...

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I like your review of the Cubs. So far things look good in opening day. But here are my two suggestions:
1- get a GOOD sports psychologist. Obviously their problem isn't their playing, it's choking in the post-season.
2- if they get to hire you, I wanna be hired to do stats for them!