Friday, May 1, 2009

Translating onboard the USNS Comfort

I had the great opportunity to serve as a translator on the US Navy medical ship called the Comfort. I stayed two days and translated for doctors and nurses asking patients how they were feeling, where the pain was, and giving them instructions with their medications.

At first, we weren't sure that we would be able to board the boat due to bad organization and confusion caused by both DR stuff and the Navy (government inefficiencies...why I believe a small-government is the way to go. If you are reading this Barack Obama, take note).

I was stationed in a post-operation room and got to befriend some people there because in down time I would usually talk to either the doctors or the patients. I was actually woken up one night at 2am because no translators were awake and a doctor needed to see how a patient was doing.

Some highlights from my time were:
  • -Learning a lot about the Navy and life at sea. We got a tour of many parts of the ship, and a Chicagoan serving in the Navy showed me where the servicemen sleep and hang out.
  • -Meeting with a Navy coordinator about Esperanza and making connections
  • -Getting the question asked me by a doctor, "Where did you learn your English?" Because she thought I was a native Spanish speaker because of how well i spoke. That made my time.
  • -Having some interesting conversations with medical students we spent a decent amount of time with
  • -Telling a couple of Mexican-American Navy guys that I was Domincan, and having them believe me
  • -Probably speaking the best Spanish of my life (practice helps!)
The little girl pictured is one of the patients I translated for. She was really funny and told me there were two mice living in her little cabinet thing and wanted me to bring food for them.

No comments: